If you have not already done so, please stop off at the main questionnaire page for important information about the intent of these questionnaires.
This questionnaire contains a list of ignorant (and potentially hurtful) remarks that have been used against asexual people. For each comment, if you’ve ever encountered someone who has used it, please talk about who they were, the situation in which it was used, and how you reacted (or wish you’d reacted), and how it made you feel. Also, even if you haven’t encountered it, please give what you feel would be an effective rebuttal to someone who does use it.
I’ve seen people talk about offensive remarks and filling out bingo cards and all that, but outside of a couple of SwankIvy’s videos, I’ve never really seen anyone talk about what to do when you’re on the receiving end of them. My goal for this particular questionnaire is to be able to build up a set of responses that other asexuals can use, so they’ll be prepared when someone throws one of these their way.
Thank you for your interest, but this survey is now closed! We are no longer accepting responses at this time. If you’re curious, here’s what the questions were:
- “You just haven’t met the right person.”
“How can you be sure if you haven’t tried?”
- “You’re just a late bloomer.”
- “That’s not what the word means.”
- “It’s not real.”
- “Were you abused or assaulted?”
- “It’s just a phase.”
- “It’s slut-shaming.”
- “It’s so noble that you’re saving yourself.”
- “Maybe you’re really gay and afraid to admit it.”
- “You’re just afraid of sex.”
- “You’re missing out.”
- “If you’re not having sex, you’re just friends.”
- “You’re so lucky. You don’t have to deal with relationship troubles.”
- “You should get your hormones checked.”
- “Are you religious?”
- “I was like that at your age.”
- “There’s a pill for that.”
- “One night with me will fix that.”
- “You can’t be asexual because you’ve [insert activity here].”
- Are there any other ignorant comments that you’ve heard which were not included here?
[wpsqt name=”Dealing With Ignorant Comments” type=”survey”]