This was a session for group organizers to trade ideas for ace/aro meetup groups. Here were a few of those ideas:
- You don’t always have to talk about asexuality at every meeting all the time. Sometimes the meetup can just be a meetup.
- Have a variety of activities: Dinners, game nights, movies, karaoke, food court get-togethers, discussion groups, new member welcomes, book club, potluck, etc.
- Consistently have events, and plan events for the future. People are more likely to attend something if it looks like the group is active.
- Specifically advertise some events as New Member Events, or have New Member time carved out of another event. This specifically invites people who haven’t come to something before a reason to drop by.
- Occasionally have targeted, specific discussion topics, planned in advance. This will give people who are interested in that topic a reason to drop in.
- Talk about your other events. At your karaoke meetups, mention the monthly discussion group, etc.
- Encourage other people to organize events. The more events, the better, and the wider range of events and wider geographic area they cover, the better.
- Personal connections with organizers lead to more popular events and a more active group overall.
- Have events of different sizes. Sometimes a 6 person dinner is what people want. Sometimes a 30 person discussion group is what people want.
- Asking for donations is fine, but asking for dues would exclude people who can’t/won’t pay. Tie the donation requests to specific events, like “We need $300 to march in Pride” or “Our meeting space is $30 a month.
- Use on-line tools. Have a website, Facebook, Meetup, etc. You can use Rabbit for a simulated movie night or Discord for a group chat.
You can no longer use Rabbit :( but here are some alternatives.
Also, can i include this post in the Guides and Tips section of my Asexual Services and Resources list (Tumblr version | Google Docs version)? I don’t think we currently have another guide or so on how to run ace meetups groups, or at least, i haven’t been able to find it these past couple years.
Sure, you can. But it’s kinda sad if this is the only thing out there…
It sure is :/